Friday, February 17, 2012

Laundry Detergent--Save Money... Make your own!

I had comtemplated making my own laundry detergent for years.  But, having those high dollar Wisk coupons last year gave me about a years supply of free laundry detergent.  Now that my supply has been depleated, I decided to give it a shot. 
So far, so good... it seems to be working great... clothes comes out just as clean as with the store bought stuff... You know that we have a huge family and do lots and lots of laundry..at least 4 loads a day... According to my estimates, it seems that we will save about $6 a week, x 52 weeks =$312.00 per year... When you break it down that way, it certainly seems worth while...
Here is the recipe that I used...




1 4 lb 12 oz box Borax (2.15 kg or 76 oz) found in the detergent isle
1 4 lb box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (1.81 kg)
1  box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda 55 oz (3 lb 7 oz) found in the detergent isle
3 bars of Fels-Naptha soap, found in the detergent isle
2 or 3 small containers of Oxy Clean or store brand Oxy Clean (try to get about 3.5 lbs total (1.58 kg)) found in the detergent isle. (this is optional... but I added it to mine and found it at  Dollar Tree)

Find the directions on how to mix it here, along with lots of other cool homemade products.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment